Wednesday, October 14, 2015

PB&J Quest Protein Muffins for National Dessert Day

Happy National Dessert Day! I needed a dessert after a long workday. Lucky for me, I was feeling adventurous in the kitchen and threw a few cupboard and refrigerator staple items to make a new, protein-packed recipe self titled, PB&J Quest Protein Muffins.
Caroline PB&J Quest Protein Muffins

The recipe yields 4 muffins, 100 calories per muffin. You can customize this recipe however you like. I chose to add a tablespoon of Justin's almond butter on top of mine because I needed some more healthy fats and protein for my daily macronutrients. (That is not included in the 100 calories)


Caroline's PB&J Quest Protein Muffins


Ingredients


I enjoy using the app My Macros+ to calculate the macronutrients and calories I consume on a daily basis. This is a screenshot of the ingredients used in my recipe. Not only can you add foods right from scanning their barcodes, but you can adjust ingredient amounts and serving sizes.

The flour was gluten free and the protein drink was MuscleEgg egg whites, which I'm still working on my second gallon of the Mint Chocolate flavor. The muffins were very moist because of the Greek yogurt and egg whites.

I also added a dash of salt and 1/2 tsp of baking powder to give more structure to the muffins. The honey was for additional sweetness, but next time, I will probably add some Stevia 0 calorie sweetener.













Procedure

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray four wells in muffin pan.
  2. In medium bowl, mix together salt, flour, baking powder, and whey protein.
  3. Whisk in egg whites, Greek yogurt, and honey.
  4. Use a spoon and fill bottoms of each well using half the batter.
  5. Cut one PB&J Quest bar into quarters, flatten the pieces and place on top of partially filled muffin pan wells.
  6. Evenly spoon remaining batter on top of four muffin wells.
  7. Top each muffin with one raspberry (I used frozen).
  8. Cook in oven for 10-12 minutes, depending on stove.
  9. Cool 5-10 minutes and enjoy a clean, fun dessert!
Did you make any desserts for #NationalDessertDay? Hope it was protein packed! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment