Saturday, October 24, 2015

Curbed my craving: Homemade Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Caroline Cauliflower Pizza Crust RecipeWe all get cravings. Sometimes, it is for sweets and desserts. Other times, it is for salty, greasy, fat-loaded foods. I had the sodium cravings last weekend. I wanted pizza. Instead of going out and spending extra money I don't have in my budget, I made one. The crust was made from cauliflower and then I loaded on veggies, chicken and turkey bacon!

Cauliflower is a great option for someone looking to cut out carbs and fats found in premade bread crusts. Below is my recreation from a Sam's Club magazine article. I also included macronutrients of my pizza in case you'd like to make it the same. To fit my daily intake, I ate two pizzas-- you could easily eat just one... or the whole thing if you choose! :D

Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Crust Ingredients

  • 2 cups raw, processed cauliflower (about half of one large head)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder OR 1 tsp. chopped garlic
  • 2 tsp. pizza seasoning
  • 1 cup shredded cheese OR 2 mozzarella string cheese sticks

My Pizza Toppings Included

  • 3.3 ounces pre-cooked chicken breast
  • 2 strips turkey bacon
  • 1 Roma tomato
  • 1 cup raw spinach
  • 0.5 cup raw broccoli
Cauliflower Crust Pizza Toppings

Procedure

  1. Preheat oven and baking sheet to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Prepare sheet of parchment paper that will be placed on top of baking sheet warming in the oven.
  3. Rinse cauliflower and cook until tender. Since I don't have a stovetop steamer, I placed in the microwave on high for 6 minutes.
  4. Use a food grater, processor, or finely chop to near rice-like consistency.
  5. Place cauliflower mixture on dry dish cloth and wring out as much excess water as possible.
  6. Put processed cauliflower in bowl.
  7. If using string cheese, pull apart and chop up into smaller pieces. 
  8. Mix cheese, egg and seasonings with cauliflower. Can use hands for more even distribution.
  9. Form 'dough' into ball and set on to parchment paper.
  10. Pat dough into a round shape, about 1/4 inch thick.
  11. Pick up parchment sheet with crust and place onto hot baking sheet.
  12. Cook crust for 10 minutes or until slightly brown.
  13. Remove from the oven, assemble preferred pizza toppings and bake for additional 5-8 minutes. I did not add sauce or extra cheese -- up to your preference.

Based on my above ingredients, here are the macronutrients from my Cauliflower Crust Pizza.

Pizza Yields 4 quarter slices
Nutrients per slice


CALORIES: 126
PROTEINS: 15.4
CARBS: 6
FATS: 5

Healthy Homemade Pizza 1
Gains.
Healthy Homemade Pizza 2
Delicious!
Add some delicious Walden Farms ranch, barbecue sauce or both to fit your cravings :)

Healthy Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment