Saturday, April 2, 2016

Trust and a coach

Have you ever had a coach where you doubt them? I know I have.

Caroline's Cues | Trust and a coachI think back to my high school track days. Freshman girls track, Mr. Hemsoth was a tough coach. Often times, the girls would do their best to avoid running extra drills or find a way to make whatever instructions he asked us to do "easier". He demanded a lot of his team and pushed us to run more than you thought possible. He "encouraged" me to run the 800 meter open and 800 meter relay. I was not pleased. His stern demeanor gave him this persona of an all or nothing we gotta win type. (He was not much different as the social studies teacher either.)

Mr. Hemsoth made me doubt his coaching abilities and whether he had my best interests at heart. I have never been the best runner. However, putting me into mid-distance races pushed me to a limit. I ended up quitting after that season for various reasons including an injury. I attribute a larger portion of not returning that next season because of my doubt of him as a coach.

This past week, I had a meeting with the Nebraska Farm Bureau Leadership Academy. This meeting, we focused mostly on agricultural policy and industry current events. The second day, we worked with Richard Fagerlin, author of Trustology.

I first saw Richard speak at the AFA Alliance Meeting last November. However, that was more of a keynote speech. This time, he got to work more closely with our group of 10 upcoming leaders in Farm Bureau. It refreshed me of the importance of trust.


Richard has a unique perspective on trust, how we give it and ultimately maintain it. I will not go through what he describes in the book, which you should get and read! However, have you ever taken the time to ask why you do or do not trust someone?

As Richard shares in the book, there are three main pieces to forming a trust-filled relationship.

1. Integrity
2. Competence
3. Compassion

If you do not have all three in a relationship, there is a high probability there is a trust gap.

Take a moment to watch this video. I first saw this at a sales meeting.



Even in Kayla's story, she had to have trust in her coach. He knew her limits. She believed he would make the best choice for her.

It may not seem easy to trust. We have to. It's a large part of life and being a leader. Even now, as I work with my team or train with my bodybuilding coach, I need to focus on trust. Otherwise, a gap will emerge and cause issues and problems.

As we go into April, I challenge you to focus on trust. Be trustworthy. Trust your coaches. Become better. Thank those coaches in your life. I know I am grateful for the ones I have. Thanks again to my coaches in life! Go grab a copy of Trustology. It's an easy read you will truly enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment