Saturday, April 16, 2016

Rising up with Ryan's Root to Rise Yoga

Breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth.

Inhale... exhale...

Caroline's Cues | Rising up with Ryan's Root to Rise Yoga


The loft in Kindred was warmed to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Stationery candles surrounded the small area for yoga mats, blankets and blocks. Nine yogi's joined Friday morning for a session designed to help athletes and their sore or tight muscles.

Laura Ryan, owner and instructor of Ryan's Root to Rise Yoga led the one-hour session focused on hip openers, flexibility and balance. If you were not sweating within the first 15 minutes, you must not have been in the loft with us!

I credit a lot of muscle development to having a "mind-muscle connection". This is no different than in yoga. When I entered the loft, I knew I had to have my mind focused and willing to let go of outside emotions, thoughts and factors to get the most from the session. It worked.


The group followed Laura's cues from downward dog to plank to some other movements. Typically, you will "relax" in downward dog pose in between some movements. Not this time! Laura explained that rather than thinking of it as "relaxing", you must find your edge. When you find your edge, your muscles will become stronger and more flexible through the poses.

At first, I didn't quite understand what she meant. Then, while posed on my yoga mat, I felt more tension in my calves, legs and back. Laura had repositioned my arms and hips. It made the difference. Now, I have that memory of what the muscles felt in that pose and can attempt to recreate that feeling whenever I practice yoga again.

The next phrase resonated instantly.

"If you can find your edge in yoga, you can translate that to find your edge in life."


Do you use your mind and muscles to find your edge? How do you create habits, strengthen mental discipline and willpower and ultimately, find your potential?

Whether it's through yoga, running, meditating or lifting, it is scientifically proven that physical activity stimulates the brain and adds more consistency and improvement in your overall health. What will you do to rise up and make actions that will improve your health and life?

If you have not already, please check out Ryan's Root to Rise Yoga website or Facebook page! Laura is a great teacher and you could enjoy a new fitness challenge and experience with her.

As I left the loft, scents of happiness essential oil blends filled the air.

Take a deep breath.

Breathe in, breath out. Rise up.

No comments:

Post a Comment