Thursday, September 17, 2015

Picnics in Paris

After the short day of wandering London in a "lost" state, I joined 15 other travelers from around the world to go by train to Paris, France. We arrived late that evening to Paris and made our way on a 15-minute jaunt to our hostel. I had never stayed in a hostel before, let alone with complete strangers. But here went nothing! Parisians seemed to enjoy a few things: bread, cheese, wine, art and history. These things combined made for an adventurous two days in Paris.



On the day of my group's arrival, there was much activity in the streets and sites. The weather was gorgeous on our three-hour walking tour to see sights including Notre Dame, the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris, the Seine River, the fountain of Saint Michel, the lock bridge, the Royal Palace, the Louvre, Luxor Obelisk and more. We made our way through the streets and eventually to what was one of my favorite stops in Paris.


Macaroons from Lemoine.
My first macaroon experience was glorious. I have had a mighty sweet tooth after my bodybuilding show. The pictured rose flavored macaroon from Lemoine hit the spot after a long, worried walk of anticipated rainfall. Adding to the authentic Parisian experience, we purchased groceries and walked the rest of the way to the Eiffel Tower, where we sat in the grass for a small picnic.

Grocery shopping - glad our guide reads French!

We washed our fruits and veggies in a public fountain.
Ingenious!

In front of the Eiffel Tower before lunch.

Picnic, Paris style (see the wine?)!
More fun was had the next few days from visiting the Louvre and making faces at Mona Lisa to "shopping" at Avenue de Champs Elysees. The tour in Paris was enough for me. France has never been a high priority country to see, but I'm glad I had the experience. It is a little dirty and chaotic in the city. People weren't always friendly either. But sometimes, you just have to grin and bear it! :D

Enjoy the photographs and get ready for more as I left France for one of my favorite locations on the trip: Interlaken, Switzerland.

No comments:

Post a Comment