Monday, March 17, 2014

Was it all worth five minutes?

A few weeks ago, I drove 1.5 hours to Piqua, Ohio to attend the Ohio Farm Forum and for a 5-minute interaction with Speaker of the House John Boehner. Then, I drove home another 1.5 hours. My mom asked me, "Was all that driving worth just 5 minutes?" My immediate response was "of course".

Speaker John Boehner


Next week, I am going to Washington, D.C. for National Agriculture Day. Traveling with 99 other young agriculturalists, we will meet on Capitol Hill to discuss ag policy and meet with our prospective legislatures. Those meetings will last anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes. However, they are all worth it. Why? Because any time talking to policy leaders about agriculture is valuable. I was only able to meet with Speaker Boehner because I reached out in advance and was willing to make the drive for a few moments, since he is unavailable this next week when I will be in DC. My interaction may not have seemed like much, but our conversation about TPP and food labeling could provoke thoughts in his future government decisions.

Speaker John Boehner

What is worth the distance for you? Is it working that "dirty job" another month to see a pay raise? How about saving a few extra dollars to make your dream trip to Europe for a week? Whatever it is, as long as it is valuable to you and your passions, the endeavor is all that matters.

Memories
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/555842778980072764/

No comments:

Post a Comment